Monday 7 September 2009

Crowded House - Distant Sun

Album: Together Alone (Capitol,1993) Chart Pos: AUS#23 UK#19



This band were the background music to my childhood, my mother had their best of on tape, my dad pinched it and used it in the car and I have childhood memories of me and my dad driving two of my uncles to one of their gigs in Bournemouth circa 1996. So even though I’ve been familiar with this band for ages I’ve never really been much of an admirer until recently. It wasn’t until after discovering Split Enz True Colours album and an appreciation of all things jangly I began to actually enjoy Crowded House. One of my favorite of thier songs is ‘Distant Sun’ the lead single from their Together Alone album. This song proves Neil Finn is quite an impressive songwriter who has a certain aptitude for writing jangly melodies and soaring choruses. This is the kind of music that could fill stadiums, yet at the same time strays away from any sense of empty bombast and pretension.

No comments:

Post a Comment